background

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Mom, in case I forget to tell you...


I have been called to be Isaac's primary teacher and this week's lesson is on talents. The first question it asks is: How have you benefited from the talents of others?

As I pondered that question, I began thinking of my mom. She was usually happy and loved to have fun, but she worked hard too. I have often thought of how I want to be happy for my kids like she was for me. When I was little, I would watch her working and smiling and I'd ask, "Which have you liked better, being an adult or being a kid?" I think I expected her to say "adult" because that meant I would be as happy as her when I grew up. (I worried a lot as a kid.)

She always answered--no matter how I phrased the question--that she liked them both. There were good things and hard things about each. She was right.

I'll always remember one particular day when I was working at the Chocolate Factory. My boss, Ineke, was making caramel apples and I was stocking the cases. As she stirred, she looked out the window and said, "Well, here comes a smile-ly lady." I walked over and saw my mom coming down the sidewalk with a big, beautiful smile on her face. I said proudly, "That's my mom."

I have benefited from so many peoples talents, but today I'm thankful for my mom and her ability to smile through thick and thin. I wanted to write it down, in case I forget to say it...Thanks, Mom!



3 comments:

  1. I've always considered her optimism and ability to deal with stress either a super power or a very strong spiritual gift...or maybe both. We are very blessed to have the parents that we do!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANKS AMBRA!!! You made me cry...SURPRISE! I never knew you felt that way. I loved reading your blogs...I laughed forever about the Isaac assignment!
    I'm going to tell you my secret. First off...various things that happen in your life are so difficult to go through and are so terrible at the time you can't believe you'll ever make it through...you live on your knees and make it through with the Lord's help. The day to day stresses don't compare so life is good! I have bad days just like everyone. When things get so bad, I've learned to drop down on my knees and ask for the Lord's help, or even just a little prayer asking for help...he has ALWAYS been there calming me down. Like the picture you kids gave me of the light house that I love says,"Sometimes He calms the storm, and sometimes He calms the child." The Lord is the calming factor in my life, He calms this child all the time.
    I've marveled at how YOU handle YOUR life. How you handle your trials with Isaac, and all the kids stuff going on. I've often said,"How does she do it?" You seem to always have a smile as well and take things better than most would. You have always been an obedient, special spirit of our Heavenly Father Ambra...I love you.

    ReplyDelete