background

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Homeschooling Josie

(My genius friend, Angie, had an adorable slide show on her blog which
lead me to discover a website called Picnik. I LOVE it! Making collages
is so much fun.)

My sister, Cama, always teases me that I like to play "The Glad Game." For those of you who have never seen the movie Pollyanna, I'll explain. All you need to do to play The Glad Game is look on the bright side of EVERYTHING. Pollyanna says there usually is a bright side no matter how bad things get.

Well, I found the bright side to Josie's broken leg. I get to homeschool her this year. And, we are having so much fun.

She was all set to attend Bright Beginnings Preschool with Miss Karen like she did last year, but her trampoline accident and immediate surgery squashed those plans. She has a metal plate and five screws in her left tibia(shin bone)
, and just a good old fashion break in her fibula(the little bone next to the tibia). So, she has been through three casts these past 6 weeks and has more to come as the year marches on.

It's nice to have her home with me. I homeschooled Kimball for preschool and kindergarten until we moved to Loveland in March of 2004. But, both Evan and Isaac attended preschool. Evan, who's currently in third grade, still talks about the "glory days" of preschool.

"That was the best! You worked a little and then played. You sang and then played some more," he reminisces.

I put her in preschool because she wants so much to be big and go to school like her brothers. I also thought she might find some little girls to play with, but the two children she chose as her best friends were both boys. Oh well, I can't deny that boys are fun. I had considered keeping her home this year to spend more time with her, but I didn't want to disappoint her. So, I guess the broken leg wasn't the worst thing that could have happened. Let's just all pray it heals as completely as the doctor assures me it will.

Until then, I'll try to soak up the extra time with her and enjoy it. The pictures above show a few things we've done. We have played games and learned to say "Good game" to each other whether we win or lose. We learned all about mixing colors to make new ones. We built a cardboard doll house that she is still coloring on. And, I made two charts to remind us both to keep track of all she's learning. She earns stickers for a Treasure Box prize for doing her handwriting and math work. She gets to put an "X" in a box on her Book Count for each book we read. When the Book Count chart is full, she gets to pick out a book at Barnes and Noble. Also, I get to use the calendar and weather chart I made when Kimball was little.

How can I not be enjoying this opportunity that life handed me to homeschool Josie?

4 comments:

  1. Your blog makes me feel guilty and neglectful! Although it's fun to read if I pretend it's just a made-up story. I like your works of fiction!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I had the same experience with my kids...they all LOVED Pre-School...oh wait...You and Adam never went and Cama...well we all know how much she LOVED IT!!! LOL...I'm so glad you have this time with her as well, you are a trooper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are the 1st pics i've seen of Josie in years!!!! at least it feels like that. She looks so grown up! Enjoy your time together:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun you get to homeschool her this year! Your collage looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete