background

Friday, October 8, 2010

Fall = Football


In our house, fall equals football.

It has taken me years to get used to this concept as I tried to fit football into the schedule as if it were a regular activity instead of
THE ACTIVITY.

This year, with both Kimball and Evan playing (and Isaac helping them practice), we have football everyday except on Sunday.

Football practice always runs from 5pm to 7pm. "But, that's dinner time!" you cry? Yes, it is. The past few years I've wrestled with football practice and lost. I tried getting dinner on the table early. I tried eating dinner together after practice. I tried everyone attending practice and enjoying the fresh air. I tried everything I could think of not to miss out on the family time.

This year, Mat informed me that Kimball had practice Mon, Wed, Fri and Evan was on Tues/Thurs. I forfeited the match. Football wins again. But, this time without the struggle. Guess what? It worked!

I don't attend practices. I make dinner and we eat at the regular time. Whoever is at football eats when they get home and everyone is happy. Mat and I split up on Saturday to watch games which are often scheduled at the same time. I found out I like watching football a lot more without hearing Mat's knowledgeable comments and analysis. I like to be blissfully watching my boys and telling myself how well they are doing. I sometimes even cheer for both teams (if the other team is losing badly and I feel sorry for them). These things I can never get away with when Mat is close by.

The top picture in the collage is my favorite. It is Kimball and Mat running the chains for Evan's game. It is my reminder that, maybe, we're not missing out on family time after all.

Now, if only I could get used to March Madness...

2 comments:

  1. great job with the collage!!!! it is sooo cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny! We had fun at Cole's game last week. We'll have to come to your boy's games this week! Love the pics (as usual)!

    ReplyDelete