background

Saturday, August 27, 2016

A Blur

This summer went so fast, it was a blur!  Evan and I stood in line at high school registration, and I saw how I felt about the summer mirrored in his face.  It was a look of dazed shock that summer was over and another school year was upon us.  At that moment, the two of us were hard pressed to put into words how we had spent the summer, but since then I have thinking about many of my favorite things that made this summer marvelous...

1.  My Favorite 8th Grader:  


When I walked into Isaac's summer school to bring birthday treats, I was greeted by this face with a crown worn slightly askew just above it.  What a great bunch of people Isaac has in his life!  One of the para-professionals that worked with him remembered his birthday and brought in a crown for him to wear.

2.  My Favorite Daughter:


I have had such a great time with Josie this summer!  She is a wonderful person.  She helps me at home, at scouts, and even at work.  One of her great accomplishments of the summer was putting fresh strawberries on top of the ice cream cake we made for Evan's birthday.  It was genius.

4.  My favorite 15 year old:


Evan really surprised me this summer with his cautious and mature driving.  It has been kinda fun teaching him...still scary, but fun too.

5.  My Favorite New Addition to the Adult World:


Kimball has been running hard this summer trying to fit as much fun and work in as possible so I haven't seen much of him.  I really enjoyed the talks we have had though.  It has been nice this week to have him around after all the other kids go to school.


5.  Favorite Restaurant: 

Tito's Mexican Grill--We found this little place because it was right next to Evan's Driver's Ed class located over in Palmer Garden's Shopping Center on the southwest corner of 287 and 29th Street...just in case you want to visit. Delicious Smothered Burrito, Loaded Nachos, and Horchata!

6.  My Favorite Hike:


Alberta Falls followed by a slow meander around Bear Lake.

7.  My Favorite Summer Read:

I took A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel to the orthodontist office to read while I waited for Evan.  I was laughing embarrassingly loud, and I couldn't stop.

8. My Favorite View:


We spent a fair amount of time in Estes this summer but not at much as I would have liked.

9. My Favorite Ohioans:


This is the last picture of the cousins together for awhile!

10. My Favorite Concert:

Dakota Blu at Performance Park in Estes.  True--Chase is my cousin, but I don't think I am being biased when I say it was a great show.

While writing this post, I realized how very much my kiddos did without me this summer.  Kimball and Evan went backpacking, went to Youth Conference at the Sand Dunes, and went to the Twenty-One Pilots concert with Mat and Josie.  Mat and Evan went to Scout Camp in South Dakota. Josie went to Utah with her marvelous Aunt Cama and cousin Jaylie.  I guess this is a new chapter in life that snuck up me.  I was preparing for Kimball to spread his wings (and parachute), but I didn't really think of how much the other kids have grown up too.  This house is basically going to be a revolving door of comings and goings.  It has been that way for a long time, but usually I have been the one gathering the necessities, herding the kids, and holding the hands as we embarked on whatever adventure awaited us beyond these walls.  Now, I find myself waving and smiling a lot, wishing well, and calling after to "drive safe."  It makes me want to hold each hug a little longer, linger over family dinners, and enjoy these loud and busy days with a new vigor so I can call "See you soon!" knowing I relished the time they were home.  

School is now in session and Kimball leaves for his mission in one month.  Wow!  Good-bye, Summer!  See you soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment