background

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

This Haunted House


When I was a little girl visiting my grandparents' house, my brother and sister and I used to play for hours in their beautiful back yard.  It was part orchard, part garden, and part playground.  We would scale the apricot tree, swing in the tire swing, and run in and out of the house often for drinks and other backyard essentials.  Sometimes we would leave the backdoor open in our haste and my grandpa would shout, "Put the board in the hole!  Were you born in a barn?"

Now I'm a mother, and whenever my imaginative son, Isaac, doesn't want to leave the house he cries, "I want to stay in my barn!"  He says this whether he is pretending to be a cow or a leopard.  Apparently in his mind, a barn is a good dwelling place for all sorts of animals.  It always makes me smile because had these two marvelous people met, Isaac would have flummoxed my Grandpa Glissmeyer.

"Were you born in a barn?"
"Why, yes, lovely isn't it?"

This morning an event occurred that was of epic proportions.  Isaac decided he no longer lives in a barn.  He lives in a haunted house.  He spent a good half hour this morning deciding where all the monsters hang out.  There is a werewolf in the master bathroom, a mummy in the bedroom closet, Frankenstein under the bed, and ghosts hiding under the kitchen table.  I had trouble understanding some of the things he was telling me, so he gave me hints:

"Vit-es" are on the ceiling."
"Huh?"
"Pointy hats.  Brooms."
"Oh, witches are on the ceiling?"
"Yes!"

"Emires in the fireplace."
"What?"
"Emires...Count Dracula."
"Oh, vampires are in the fireplace?"
"Yes, Emires."

 He put a butler in the hall, zombies in the silverware drawer, a dragon on the roof, and Bigfoot downstairs.  I'm sure Isaac will be adding more monsters to this haunted house over the next few days, but don't worry; he'll be done in time for Easter. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment