background

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Christmas All Year Round

Well, it's time to start thinking about taking the Christmas tree down.

Isaac is objecting to any such talk.  He loves to watch the lights slowly fade from white to multicolored and back again.  Many nights during the Christmas season, he sneaks from his bed to enjoy this relaxing site during the dark and quiet of the night and falls asleep on the couch.  Part of me says that I should be more careful not to let him form bad habits.  The other part of me leaves the Christmas tree lights on all night to allow him this small pleasure.

December 2008


Isaac is a kiddo that enjoys Christmas all year round.  His teachers at school know that he'll be interested in any book that has a reindeer in it, whether it's December or May.

July 2008



When Isaac was four, he began asking me to watch the Rudolph-the-Red-Nosed-Reindeer video in June.  At the time, I was desperately trying to get him to understand that any language he attempted would be rewarded, so I dug through the Christmas boxes under the stairs.  I emerged dusty and smiling.  I handed him the video proudly and said, "See, you asked Mommy for Rudolph and you got it!"


Little did I know I was creating a monster.  I dug through the boxes often that summer, pulling out all kinds of Christmas stuff.  I made him a Rudolph cake using my Cricut machine, putting sunglasses on Santa, to celebrate his summer birthday.


Isaac turns 5!


Isaac's love for the poem, The Night Before Christmas, inspired a game we played when he needed calming down.  I would recite it and leave out words for him to fill in.  This Christmas he worked extra hard and memorized the whole thing, with me jumping in every so often.  He performed it as a gift for his teacher and paras in his special ed classroom.  Then, he performed it for all the grandparents as well.


I love to watch all my kids enjoy Christmas, and I'm glad we have Isaac to remind us of the sweet things of Christmas all year round.

No comments:

Post a Comment